Monday, September 12, 2011

Readings

Go The Wrong Way
Now this article intrigued my curiosity just from the title. As I read this, it made me stop and think for a moment. It’s easy to associate college with getting a steady, well-paid career. If you ask most students why they’re in college, most will say to get a good paying job. But college has much more to offer than just that. It’s the only time in your life that you have to think about how you want the rest of your adulthood to pan out. It’s time to think about where you want to live, do you want to travel, do you want kids, do you want to get married, etc.

College is also the time to expand your mind and experience new cultures and lifestyles. Most schools offer programs for students to have the opportunity to study abroad. But if that’s not your cup of tea you can still indulge in many varieties of culture just by looking in your own campus. There are plenty of clubs and groups that you could join that teach about different types of cultures. Or you can learn something from one of your fellow classmate.

This is our time to explore ourselves and the world around us. To take courses that may not help us in our future careers, but will help mold us into a well-rounded person. We must use our time at school wisely. And not just waste it on binge drinking or hiding in the corner, being anti-social. We have so many resources that we must utilize because before we know it, they’ll be gone.

Most people know what working hard means, but what does working smart mean? The article explains working smarter as basically planning and utilizing your time wisely. Instead of waiting until last minute and becoming overwhelmed by the gigantic amount of work you now have. You can’t succeeded by just working harder or working smarter. You have to use a combination of both in order to succeed to the maximum level.
Before I read this article, I had no idea that my success had to do with using a combination of both. I knew that I was a hard worker, but I never thought of myself as a smart worker. I realized by using a planner and working out my schedules in order to fit class time, out of class time, work time, errand time, social time, and down time I was being a smart worker. I also realized that I needed to work on being a smarter worker a bit more. I give myself fall back time in case an assignment takes longer than I anticipated. But I tend to find myself procrastinating my work until the last fallback time I scheduled, which usually leads to stress and/or aggravation.
Learning the differences between the two types of work and what type I am has helped me improve my life. I have a more organized schedule and find myself not waiting until last minute to finish everything. Which reduces my stress/aggravation.

No comments:

Post a Comment