Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Breaking the Shell


I did not get the chance to blog about the last group that presented on Tuesday because they took too long to post their readings and I had work so I only blogged about the first group. The second group covered the topic of dating. I liked that they covered all aspects of dating: on campus dating, long distance dating, hooking up, etc. And all of the dangers of dating in college.

I liked that they divided us up into groups for discussion. They gave each group two dating scenarios to discuss. Then they opened up each scenario for a class discussion. Some scenarios were a bit extreme, but it definitely was not a bad thing. They made each scenario different and took them to the extremes to make sure they covered every possible aspect of dating in college.

This group was also engaging. They asked us personal questions that allowed the discussion to get a bit personal and take it to a whole new level. But they also did not pressure us into revealing details we were too embarrassed to answer. They were not afraid to get personal, but they were not prodding. The group allowed the class to share information that they were comfortable revealing.

This Thursdays group is covering the topic: social life in college. This topic is relatable to everyone because we are all trying to become more social and adjust to college life. And since the majority of our Inquiry class lives on campus, it is a good topic to discuss.

The articles we were assigned to read were kind of interesting. I mean both listed ways to adapt and become more social. Some ways were a bit obvious: like joining clubs or attending sport events. But some were ideas that I never heard of and never would have thought to do. For example:  studying in the library instead of your dorm or hanging out at the gym to meet new people and stay in shape.

I am interested in seeing their presentation, especially since it is the last one. I want to see how they will make their presentation engaging. It should be easier for them because they have already seen each group present. If they were not sure how to make their presentation engaging they could get ideas from other groups and develop them into something different. I am concerned that they will only address students that live on campus. It is a lot easier to be social on campus than it is for a commuter. I hope they give tips for commuters with busy schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment