Wednesday, November 2, 2011

College isn't all it's Cracked Up to Be

Like 99.9% of teens(not a real statistic) I was excited to gain my independence. When I was in high school I couldn’t wait to get out of that oppressive and restict school system. I hated being told what classes I had to take when, when I had to go to school, when I could leave class to use the bathroom, and when I had to be home by (curfew wise). I couldn’t wait for the “college experience”. I wanted to make my own schedule, go to class when I wanted, leave to use the bathroom whenever I needed to, to stay out late. And sadly, my high expectations weren’t met.
I didn’t know where I wanted to go to school. All I knew is that I wanted to study psychology. I had to decide between living on campus or at home. I chose to live at home so I could still keep my job and have a source of income. And I’m glad that I made that choice because from what I’ve heard dorm life isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It’s pretty boring from my understanding. Once I made that decision I had to decided where I wanted to go. I took a few school trips to a few local universities (including SCSU). While I did like Uconn, it was too far for what I wanted to do and it was also too big of a campus. When I visited SCSU I liked it from the beginning. It felt like home to me.
So I did the whole application process, was accepted and was excited until orientation. I was pissed that I had to spend two days (and sleep over) at Southern. It was a long,agonizing, dragged out process. And to top it off, I didn’t even get to pick my own schedule. There were a few helpful key elements, but overall it was a waste and I was relieved when it was over. There was suppose to be another orientation the weekend before classes started, but thankfully Hurricane Irene’s destructive nature cancelled that from happening.

Once I started classes and adjusted I found that school spirit was being crammed down my throat. I was being required or having professors “highly recommend” that I attend certain events to help me “get involved in the SCSU community”. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that their trying to help freshmen and transfer students adjust and feel apart of the school. But I personally don’t like being forcefully submerged into community events. I feel like it’s almost my first year of high school again. I do have a bit more freedom, but I still feel that collar around my neck. The only difference is that the leash is a bit longer. And you also have to take into consideration that we may be busy and don’t have time for these events. I work 30+ hours a week. I can’t afford to take time off from work to go watch a football game because I have bills to pay. I have rent, utilities, gas, insurance, groceries, and a bit of leisure money. I can barely pay my bills with working 30+hours. It won’t help if I need to take time off for pointless tasks. Not to mention I have other responsibilities like driving my younger sister around. My mom is a single mom who works full time and needs help with getting my sister to and from school and her activities.

I don’t know, maybe I’m exaggerating or just crazy. That’s why I want my readers to think about it. Do you feel as though your college expectations are being lived up to? Do you feel like you have complete independence? Or do you feel as though you’re starting your first year of highschool all over again with all the school spirit and mandatory events?

No comments:

Post a Comment