Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stumbling onto Something Useful

So my campus safari visit happened accidently. I wasn’t planning to do this one this week, but the chance arouse, so I decided to take it. I was wandering around Engleman before my anthropology class on Tuesday when I stumbled upon the psychology department. Since I had a half an hour to kill I decided to go on and get my safari assignment done.

The secretary for the psychology department is Mrs. Virlinda Billups. She’s located in EN D069 and the number for the office is 203-392-6868. (They also have a fax number, but I don’t own a fax machine so that number isn’t something that I need. I decided to ask her if she had the time to answer a few questions. She was more than happy to help.
First I decided to ask her about the process of getting an adviser. She explained the whole process to me and made sure I understood everything that I had to do. Then I decided to ask her about the psychology or “psych” club. That was one club that I was interested in joining, but I never knew where or when they met.

She told me that the psych club meets every Monday in the psychology library. Now I had no idea that there was a library designated for just psychology, not to mention I had no idea where it was. She then told me where the library was located (EN D055A). I’m really excited because now I know where and when to go. I might wait until next semester to join because I’m afraid that it’s too late now.
Another club she told me to look into is the Psi Chi. This is a National Honor Society in Psychology. Someone just can’t walk in there and join. There are requirements. You need to complete 3 semesters of psych college courses, have a GPA of at least a 3.0 in both psychology and cumulative, have a major or minor in psychology, complete 9 semester hours of psychology courses, and be in the top 35% of the class.
This seems like a lot of work, she encouraged me to go for it. It would look great on my resume and help motivate me. She also told me that if I need help with which classes I need to take to obtain whatever degree I’m going for I could go onto the website and there’s a list of required classes I need to take in order to get that degree.

Today was a successful day. I made my day a bit more meaningful. I learned more about what I need to do in order to graduate and join a certain club all by chance. And I also completed an assignment (campus safari blog). Seems like a day well spent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment