For this week’s campus safari I decided to check out the Major’s Expo that took place in the Adanti Student Center Ballroom. Now I already declared my major, so you may be wondering why I went. Honestly I wasn’t planning on going, but then my Inquiry professor advised our class that we should all go, whether we had a major or not. She said that even if we have a major we should still go and explore all of Southern’s options. Also, it’s a great place to find a minor.So, I decided to explore, but I did not go alone. I brought along my two friends Katie and Ally. Katie had no choice because I was driving her home and Ally had to go for her Inquiry class. It was definitely more fun having friends with me. After we signed in (I still have no idea why we had to swipe our hoot loot cards to get in) we explored a bit. It was a bit smaller than I first anticipated. I thought there would be more booths. I was also surprised that it wasn’t crowded (but then I remembered that it was a 3 hour event so it shouldn’t be crowded).
It was definitely well organized. There were neat, clear presentation boards. It was easy to find each major. And most of them had tons of information displayed and papers that you could take. After talking to a few people working each major, I could tell that these people really knew what they were talking about. They were patient, polite, well informed, and willing to answer any questions we had.
We did a couple of rounds and stopped at a few tables that interested us (we also had to stop so my friend could sign in with her Inquiry teacher). I grabbed a few packets of info. I learned more about what my major (Psychology) has to offer. And I also scouted out a few possible minors.
Overall, my experience was a positive one. I learned new things about what Majors/Minors Southern has to offer, I got to spend some time with friends while participating in a school event. To me that seems like a double win. I also liked the fact that there was such a wider time frame. Usually the events I get emailed are for like an hour and it’s usually going on when I have class or work. So it was a pleasant change to be able to attend an event in my free time. I didn’t have to rearrange my schedule or miss out on it completely. Basically I had a pleasant experience and I would recommend it to all Southern students.
(P.S. My friend was creeping on me in the picture above)
No comments:
Post a Comment