Monday, October 10, 2011

Figuring out the library with Critical Thinking

Remember how I blogged about my confusing and chaotic trip to the library? Well, for Inquiry we went there for a little field trip so we could get acquainted with that crazy building. We had one of the librarians teach us how to use the Southern library data system to find books. And if the book you’re looking for isn’t in the library, the data base will tell you which other state university has the book, or when the book is due back to Southern’s library. So you don’t end up wasting hours searching for a certain book only to find out that the library doesn’t even have it. Now I have a bit more knowledge of how the library works and I also got to meet the librarian for my major (most majors have a librarian that can help them do research within their major).

But that isn’t the point of this blog. This week, in the library we had to fill out a work sheet. And part of the worksheet required that we find a book that had something to do with our major and critical thinking. I found a book called Teen Drug Abuse. I figured this book would do great with my psychology major, but I also take a special interest in drug usage in teens. I’ve watched friends and family destroy their lives with drugs and I buried a boyfriend after a graduation party that served alcohol.

Where does the critical thinking come in? Well let me start off by defining what I think critical thinking is. To me, critical thinking is taking thinking to the next level. To immerse yourself in thought and to not just give the simple, standard answer. It involves deep thinking and soul searching. You need to be able to apply critical thinking to many different subjects/disciplines.  Critical thinking is a universal concept. It can be applied to everyday life.

So what does critical thinking have to do with this book? This book isn’t just about facts and stats. The author takes it to the next level. Adolescents deal with change and new experienced. New school, new friends, first love, first heart break, driving, first job, etc. It is also a time when teens try drugs and alcohol. Some teens develop a dependency and start abusing these substances. Instead of lecturing , yelling, and threatening, you need to understand why might the teen abuse certain substances. What psychological issues might the teen be facing? What problems could the teen be trying to escape with these recreational drugs?

By knowing how to think critically I can solve problems within my major and outside it as well. I can think out side of the box and better understand why something is happening. You can’t fix a problem if you don’t understand the root of it.

 Gordon, S. M. (2003). TEEN DRUG ABUSE. (Cover story). Behavioral Health Management, 23(5), 25-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment